Adapted from Healing With Whole Foods, by Paul Pitchford
Recipe: Sauteéd Sesame Asparagus
Summary: Asparagus contains the diuretic asparagine. It helps to cleanse the arteries of cholesterol, tonifies the kidneys and moistens the lungs. It also improves the feminine principle, particularly in the aggressive person, and is used to ease menstrual difficulties, promote fertility, and increase one’s receptive and compassionate nature.
- 5 Cups asparagus
- 3 TBS water
- 3 TBS sesame oil
- 1/ 2 tsp sea salt
- 4 TBS sesame seeds (optional)
- Trim away the woody section of the asparagus. Cut each spear into 2 inch lengths, diagonally.
- Add 1 TBS of water to a large frying pan, and heat.
- Add oil.
- Add asparagus and stir-fry one minute.
- Add salt and 2 TBS water (and sesame seeds). Bring to a fast simmer. Cover and turn to medium-low. Cook 2-4 minutes until crisp and bright green.
You can make teriyaki-style by adding 2 TBS tamari sauce with salt; gingered, by adding 1 tsp ginger with salt; or, curried, by adding 1 TBS curry powder.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4